This training answers employers’ frequently asked questions about navigating Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the accessibility guidelines for the physical and digital environments, and general ideas for reasonable accommodations in the workplace. Specific topics include:
• Service animals as a form of reasonable accommodation and considerations to make this successful.
• Tips for using a sign language interpreter in the workplace.
• Common strategies for making the remote environment accessible for employees who are teleworking.
• What reasonable accommodations are helpful when returning to work during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Best practices for navigating Title I of the ADA, such as discussing low performance with an employee with a disability and when to consider reassignment as a reasonable accommodation.
The training was hosted by OOD’s Worksite Accessibility Specialist, Julie Wood, OTR/L, and Business Relations Specialist, Dennis DeYoung.
Resources titled "Deaf and Hard of Hearing Employees Fact Sheet" and "Service Animals Fact Sheet", as well as a Learner's Guide, can be downloaded from this page.